Soup and Sandwich: Two Recipes This Week! {THM}

This week I had every intention of sharing a recipe with you that is pretty good.  But I fooled around a few times while in the kitchen and came up with two recipes that are not only very time friendly, but super delicious.  So I'm sharing those instead!  Because I stumbled upon them, I only have pictures of the final products, but I'll tell you what all I did.

The first one I'll share is an "E" Soup that we called "Chicken Curry Supreme."  This took me less than 10 minutes of actual hands on time and only 20 minutes total because I keep cooked meat already portioned in my freezer (I buy it on sale, cook it up, and stash it) and I had rice already cooked (if your rice isn't cooked, you'll need 45 minutes because it will cook in the soup).  My kids begged for more and want to know when we're having it again.  Since the dinner made 10 delicious and satisfying (or should I say energizing?!) soup bowls for only $8, I call it a winner!

  1. Heat up your stock pot or dutch over on your stove.  I like to put a dash of olive oil in the bottom and let it heat up.
  2. Toss in some finely diced onions and peppers, brown nicely.
  3. Add in 2 1/2 pounds shredded chicken (you can cook it in the crock pot, boil it, or any other way that is easy for you.  I often do 10 lbs at a time in the crock and freeze it in 4 different bags, which is about what we use for 1 meal plus leftovers).  Toss the meat with the oil and veggies to flavor it some.
  4. Empty in 1 large can tomato paste (and then 4 cans of water).
  5. If you are cooking your rice in the soup, add it in now (I used 1/2 lb brown rice).
  6. Add in cans of chili ready tomatoes (or plain diced tomatoes if you prefer) and chili beans (or 2 cups of kidney beans).  I also added corn for my hubby and kids because they loved it, but took some out first for myself.
  7. For spices I just sprinkled and dumped, but it was about 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper, 1 tsp chili powder, and 1 1/2 tsp curry.
  8. When you have about 5 minutes left till you plan to serve, toss in some coarsely chopped baby spinach.
  9. Serve with a sprinkle of low fat mozzarella or with a wedge of Laughing Cow Cheese or a dollop of Greek yogurt if you like it creamy (my kids do!) and with some Joseph's pita chips on the side.


The other recipe, an "S", was going to be a simple French Dip when Mama started craving some Pepper Steak (I really love Chinese food) and decided to just go with it.  I just called it "Yummy Steak Sandwich."  (You are no wow-ed by my cleverness, aren't you?  I knew it.)  This was another simple one; it took all of three minutes in the morning and maybe twenty five in the evening.  And it had that sweet, salty, spicy mix that Asian food is so good at.  I've already nibbled on the leftovers and I made it three hours ago.  MMMM.

  1. Get your crock pot out and toss some cube steak into it (I made 4 lbs because that's what I had frozen together, and I tossed it in frozen.  Any stew beef, steak, or whatever you have handy will work because it's a crock pot meal).  Add in 2 cups of water.  Cook on low all day long.
  2. Half way through the day add in three cloves of freshly minced garlic. Oh, divine!  Next time I'm going to add in some horseradish as well; I love that zesty flavor.
  3. About 20 minutes before dinner is ready, pour all the liquid from the crock pot into a cast iron skillet (or whatever pan you prefer; I'm a cast iron devotee).
  4. Turn up to med-high heat and reduce for a minute or two, but not too much.  While this is happening, take your stake and slice it into this strips.
  5. Add in 1/2 tsp salt, a few dashes of pepper (we love fresh ground!), 1/3 cup Bragg's (I used soy sauce as it was what I had on hand already paid for), dash of sriracha sauce (that's the hot red pepper sauce in the Asian section of your grocery store), and 1/4 cup xylitol.  Stir until well combined. Sprinkle in (s-l-o-w-l-y) 3/4 tsp glucomannon to thicken.  
  6. Toss your sliced beef (I bet chicken would also be awesome in this!) into the skillet to thoroughly coat with sauce.
  7. Serve on pan bread or in  Joseph's Pita and enjoy.  Also would be yummy on rice or quinoa if you use lean, grass fed beed (and it's so worth it!).
  8. Optional Add-Ons: cheese, sauteed onions and peppers, roasted red peppers, banana peppers, spinach, lettuce, tomato, broccoli, or anything else that sounds good to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share what YOU think -- I love your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
type="text/javascript" data-pin-hover="true" src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js">